Current Events & Announcements
Heritage Night, March 12th, 5:30pm
Save the date for Heritage Night on March 12th at 5:30pm. Final registration forms are due on February 19th.
Staff Wish Lists
As the holiday season is upon us, many find ourselves wanting to share the holiday spirit with our teachers and staff. If you’re looking for ideas, you can find Mitchell Staff Wish Lists right here 🙂 Please remember that classes may only collect money once per year and many choose to do that at the end of the school year. Of course, all gifts are strictly voluntary.
Walk-to-School Wednesdays, Kickoff September 11, 2019
Grab your sneakers, helmets, bikes, scooters, skateboards and roller blades!! Every Wednesday, beginning September 11, 2019, we will record each student that arrives to school by any method other than a car. Participating students and their classes will be eligible to win incentives. Stay tuned for additional information on meet up locations to scoot to school with other Mitchell families.
Welcome Packets for 2019-2020 School Year
Please click here for the welcome packets for the new school year. The packets include the current PTA calendar, FAQs, PTA Board contact info and event descriptions.
A message from our Student & Teacher Advocacy Committee Florida ranks 41st in the country for public school funding per student spending approximately $4000 (or 36%) below the national average! Our State Legislators passed a budget in March that increases funding by only $0.47 per student after paying for underfunded school security mandates. Adjusted for inflation, the 2018-19 per student budget is almost 18% less than pre-recession 2007-08 funding. Please click here for more details. Last year, our State Legislators passed House Bill 7069 that requires 50% of Public Education Capital Outlay (PECO) funds to go to charter schools, even though only 11% of students in Florida attend charters. To learn more, please click here. The PTA adopted a resolution in December so that we can better support our students and teachers by addressing ongoing public education issues. As such, the PTA has created a new committee, the Student & Teacher Advocacy Committee, with Becky Ferrell-Anton and Alisha Stephens as co-chairs. We hope to raise awareness of public school issues and communicate action items through PTA channels such as meetings, the PTA website, the PTA Facebook page, Bobcat Blasts, etc. Join STAC on the Remind App by texting @mitchstac to 81010! If you’d like to be involved with the committee or if you have questions or suggestions, please contact Becky or Alisha.
GET A HEAD START ON VOLUNTEERING! If you plan to volunteer at school this year in any capacity such as reading in the classroom, tutoring as a Bobcat Buddy or chaperoning a field trip, you are required to apply online with the school district before you are able to volunteer. If you are returning as a volunteer from last year, you can reactivate last year’s volunteer application. *PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL VOLUNTEERS NEED TO RE-APPLY FOR SCREENING EACH YEAR. *Volunteers will not be permitted on campus unless signed in with a valid driver’s license.
It takes a village to raise a child. Most of our operating budget comes from the Fun Run. Here is how your Fun Run dollars will make a difference in our classrooms:
- Teacher classroom funding up to $200 per teacher ($400 for “specials”), used for storage bins, books, ink cartridges etc. ($9600)
- Mini-grants for classroom supplies or special classroom projects ($10,000)
- 2 RIF (“Reading is Fundamental” events where students choose a book to keep ($4500)
- Professional Development Opportunities for teachers ($5850)
- Meet the Teacher, Tears and Cheers Breakfast, Men’s & Women’s Bobcat Breakfast events, and 2 Conference Night dinners for teachers ($4000)
- Classroom periodicals ($3000)
- All teacher and staff appreciation events throughout the year ($3000)
- Take-home folders ($4000)
- BrainPop Computer Program used in classrooms ($1200)
- Music & Arts Programs ($1000), Guidance Department expenses ($650), and Media Center expenses ($2200)
- Insurance, bank fees, office expenses, website costs ($3000)
- Landscaping for the school ($5300)
- Family Outreach Programs ($3000)