Teacher Appreciation Week Feb 11-15th
Current Events & Announcements
After School Enrichment Registration: Open at 6pm on Jan 28th – 31st
The Spring 2019 After School Enrichment registration will open at 6pm on Jan 28th and run through Jan 31st at 6pm. Please click here to review the class schedule and registration.
Teacher Appreciation Week: Feb 11th – 15th
Teacher Appreciation Week is 2/11-2/15! WE LOVE OUR TEACHERS WITH ALL OUR HEARTS! The teacher appreciation committee has planned a week of fun and exciting activities to show our teachers just how much we love, and appreciate them.
- Monday 2/11: catered lunch, coffee and tea bar
- Tuesday 2/12: candy bar and gift cards
- Wednesday 2/13: catered lunch, snack bar
- Thursday 2/14: $1 t-shirt day, kind notes from students, 1 long stem flower
- Friday 2/15: catered lunch, raffle, watch classrooms for extra time for lunch
**We need your help to make this week a success!**
We are collecting donations for gift cards to be RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED to each teacher. Please consider donating a $10 gift card to Target, Walmart, Starbucks or Publix. The TAC will make sure that EACH teacher receives a gift card because we believe they all deserve a little something extra for all they do for our children. **If you would like to give a gift card to a specific teacher, please do so on your own. This is a general collection for ALL teachers.** All gift cards can be dropped off in the front office in the Teacher Appreciation Bag NO LATER than Monday February 4th! PLEASE SIGN UP HERE!!!!!
Relieve a teacher on Friday, February 15th, so they can have a 30-minute break! Please sign up here for a time slot.
Wear your pink/red/valentine or favorite shirt on Thursday, 2/14 for $1. The money that is collected at the gate will be raffled off to 3 lucky teachers! Please also have your child create a kind note for their teacher and bring it this day. The TAC will be delivering a long stem flower to each teacher as well, but if you would like to bring in flowers on your own, you may do so.
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact Jen Cordeau.
A message from our Student & Teacher Advocacy Committee Florida ranks 41st in the country for public school funding per student spending approximately $4000 (or 36%) below the national average! Our State Legislators passed a budget in March that increases funding by only $0.47 per student after paying for underfunded school security mandates. Adjusted for inflation, the 2018-19 per student budget is almost 18% less than pre-recession 2007-08 funding. Please click here for more details. Last year, our State Legislators passed House Bill 7069 that requires 50% of Public Education Capital Outlay (PECO) funds to go to charter schools, even though only 11% of students in Florida attend charters. To learn more, please click here. The PTA adopted a resolution in December so that we can better support our students and teachers by addressing ongoing public education issues. As such, the PTA has created a new committee, the Student & Teacher Advocacy Committee, with Becky Ferrell-Anton and Alisha Stephens as co-chairs. We hope to raise awareness of public school issues and communicate action items through PTA channels such as meetings, the PTA website, the PTA Facebook page, Bobcat Blasts, etc. Join STAC on the Remind App by texting @mitchstac to 81010! If you’d like to be involved with the committee or if you have questions or suggestions, please contact Becky or Alisha.
GET A HEAD START ON VOLUNTEERING! If you plan to volunteer at school this year in any capacity such as reading in the classroom, tutoring as a Bobcat Buddy or chaperoning a field trip, you are required to apply online with the school district before you are able to volunteer. If you are returning as a volunteer from last year, you can reactivate last year’s volunteer application. *PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL VOLUNTEERS NEED TO RE-APPLY FOR SCREENING EACH YEAR. *Volunteers will not be permitted on campus unless signed in with a valid driver’s license.
It takes a village to raise a child. Most of our operating budget comes from the Fun Run. Here is how your Fun Run dollars will make a difference in our classrooms:
- Teacher classroom funding up to $200 per teacher ($400 for “specials”), used for storage bins, books, ink cartridges etc. ($9600)
- Mini-grants for classroom supplies or special classroom projects ($10,000)
- 3 RIF (“Reading is Fundamental” events where students choose a book to keep ($4500)
- Professional Development Opportunities for teachers ($5850)
- Meet the Teacher, Tears and Cheers Breakfast, Men’s & Women’s Bobcat Breakfast events, and 2 Conference Night dinners for teachers ($4000)
- Classroom periodicals ($3000)
- All teacher and staff appreciation events throughout the year ($3000)
- Take-home folders ($4000)
- BrainPop Computer Program used in classrooms ($1200)
- Music & Arts Programs ($1000), Guidance Department expenses ($650), and Media Center expenses ($2200)
- Insurance, bank fees, office expenses, website costs ($3000)
- Landscaping for the school ($5300)
- Family Outreach Programs ($3000)
Take a moment to enjoy a video message from our Proud Principal, Mrs. Anderson.